As you are all now aware, there has been another school shooting1. As I am certain you are also aware, President Trump has called for our need to address Mental Health as the reason these shootings keep happening. Since I am one of the resident ‘Gun Nuts’, I figure it’s on me to say, “Yes Mr. President, I agree! Most emphatically! We absolutely need to start dealing with mental health! I’m listening, let’s hear what ideas you and your party have for addressing the issue from this direction. You have control of the House and the Senate! Now is the time to strike, before the midterms threaten to take control away. Hell, wrap it up with DACA so those obstinate Dems will go along.”
Right?! You are all totally on board with this, I know it!
(Damnit we need a sarcasm tag or something…)
My predictions (at least one will happen, but it could be more than one, even if they are contradictory):
- The President and the GOP will offer Thoughts & Prayers(TM), but otherwise do feck all.
- They will amend the Patriot Act to declare school/mass shooters ‘Domestic Terrorists’ so the FBI can treat them as such and bring the full weight of federal law enforcement down on them.
- They will make even thinking about a mass casualty event a crime unless you are a trained and licensed/certified disaster planner (no more casually speculating about mass shootings in any kind of public forum without credentials).
- They will produce no additional budget, nor expand Medicare/Medicaid coverage for mental health care, even if the person is identified by law enforcement or medical personnel as someone who is potentially a danger to others or themselves.
- They will make being identified by law enforcement or medical personnel as someone who is potentially a danger to others or themselves a crime punishable by indefinite confinement (like how sex offenders can be kept in confinement after they have served their sentence).
How about you guys? What do you think the GOP will do in the wake of this?
Image by Bill Ward’s Brickpile
- On a positive note, a potential school shooting was stopped in a town I used to live in.