Weekend!

Way back, a million years ago, I got sent out to Annapolis to do some support. I was out there for a month and they sent out the network guy halfway through my trip out there. The boss said something like “I’m not paying for two rental cars. You guys are staying in the same hotel, you guys can hang out!” and so I went to pick up the network guy, whom I had never met, from the airport. Luckily, we hit it off. He let me drive him around in my little rental Yaris and we worked together all week to upgrade this, that, and the other thing, go out to eat after work was done, and do it all again the next day.

Well, we had a thing happen this week that involved us needing to install a whole bunch of equipment with a whole bunch of weird rules into a brand new (well, new to us) datacenter and so, this time, the network guy flew out here and spent a week tinkering around.

For some reason, Colorado hotels are all booked up. He wasn’t able to stay at his first choice or his second choice or his third choice. Everybody was full. He got stuck in the, ahem, “420 blaze it special” that’s just a few miles down the road from where my house is and so we did the hang out thing again for the week that he was here. Work hip to hip all day setting up equipment, then out to dinner, then do it all again.

He leaves tomorrow which is just in time for me to collapse in a heap needing some serious introvert time.

And, wouldn’t you know it, my boss tells me that we’re having a networking kinda party. The various bosses and managers and bigwigs are coming over to his place for a VR gaming night and to discuss various work-related things like upcoming projects and goodness knows what else. All within the petri dish that is playing around in VR helmets. Personally, I think we need to make them disarm some bombs but we’re most likely to spend all of our time in the Steam Lab doing the various demos. (Though I will be showing them the deep blue sea.)

Which means that “introvert time” happens starting on Saturday, I guess.

So… what’s on your docket?

(Image is “Play” by Clare Briggs. Used with permission of the Briggs estate.)

Contributor
Home Page Twitter

13 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. Network guy is awesome (probably in the interest of brevity, Jaybird left out a few more visits he’s made to CO between Annapolis and now).

That said, I too need to introvert like it’s just been invented.

2. I have no idea what’s on the docket. This has been one of those nightmare weeks where almost everything I tried to get done wound up spiralling into a series of additional tasks/errors/misunderstandings that would be funny in a sitcom but were just hellish in everyday life.

It’s also supposed to be heat indexes of 110 tomorrow and Sunday, so I don’t know. Hiding in my house seems like a viable option. I’d LIKE to go antiquing but that involves a long drive and walking around in the heat and I”m not sure I want to do that.

the Hell of it is, it feels like it’s been this hot for MONTHS and it’s just the start of summer – usually here it doesn’t cool down until mid-October, either.

3. It’s 59° F here, dry and fairly windy here, so Saturday morning will be spent walking on the beach and having some hot cocoa and apple pie afterwards.

The rest of the weekend will consist of cleaning, cleaning and cleaning. Loudly singing along with Abba probably.

4. A little rain this morning should be up to 92 by this afternoon. Trying to finish up things at work because after Saturday I will be off till after the 4th! Going camping and darn it I won’t have any cell phone connection… so have to have everything lined up for them to deal without me for a week with no communication.

5. Leaving for Michigan on Monday morning. Long-overdue road trip with my best friend. We’re doing about 1,400 miles in 5 days, traveling up through Mackinaw and then west across the UP and then back down through Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. Should be a lot of fun.

• Just to see what is there. I’m going with my oldest friend. He got divorced last year and my wife encouraged me to take a road trip with him, guy’s only. After kicking around locations, the UP seemed like a good fit because neither of us had been to that part of Michigan and it seems pretty cool from all of the reading I have been doing. I’m really looking forward to it.

• US 2 is a beautiful drive; my family used to take it from St. Ignace to Rapid River every summer to go visit relatives. At one time I knew every town along there and the mileage between them. I haven’t been back in more than 20 years (since the last relative up there died and I moved down to where I live now).

Cut River Bridge is scary as heck on a windy day though. At least it was for me. Well, the Mackinaw Bridge is scary too and I think now if I had to cross it I’d have to take the State Troopers or whoever it is up on their offer to drive for people who are too chicken to do it. I’ve had some bad bridge experiences in the intervening years…

6. This weekend is about pampering myself, which is how I spend my introvert time, and visiting my uncle for his birthday. I’ve been training my replacement all week and I’m totally over people right now. Fingers crossed, I think I’m a week away from being able to transfer to the new job!!!