Andy McCarthy is right….

…the Saints did play like champions.  And it was a pretty damn good game right up until the end. After that interception, though, you could tell the Colts were rattled.  Peyton Manning especially.  That was the nail in the coffin right there, except it was the Colts and they’ve pulled back from worse brinks before.

I enjoyed the game.  I don’t watch much in the way of sports, but I do love a good football game.  On that note – anyone here read any good sports-bloggers?

Oh, and I knew this ad would get some blog-traction today.

For a slightly more dystopian take, read this.  Given the state of affairs we’re in over the growing and consumption of certain illicit plants this is not so far-fetched.  And if it is far-fetched, then so is the war on drugs.  So is the light-bulb ban.

My favorite ad – probably the stuff from Doritos.  I laughed the hardest when that kid slapped the guy for taking his chip.

And I’m pretty excited about the new Ridley Scott Robin Hood movie, which I hadn’t heard anything about until last night.  I was a big fan of Gladiator and I’ve always been big on Robin Hood stories.  I remember seeing Kevin Costner’s version when I was ten, in a movie theater in Florida.  The audience cheered after Morgan Freeman’s speech.  Yes, those were simpler times.  I still have a soft-spot for that movie, warts and all.  I mean, who cares about the accent?  If anything, Costner’s performance led directly to some really good lines in Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

You can have an open-thread here if y’all would like….

P.S. – I’m with Sonny Bunch (in the comments) on this one – to some degree.  I think the ad was a parody of enviro-extremism, but I also think it didn’t take seriously the question of the security state.  In other words, while it parodied the green movement, it laughed off the very real threat of the creeping security state, which can use green policies as easily as it can use marijuana or terrorism to grow and further intrude upon our privacy.

58 thoughts on “Andy McCarthy is right….

1. I’m glad you guys said what you said!
    It was a really weird ad and put me off Audi, though they were fourth down the list for cars to buy when I get rich!
    Damn Germans, they never get enough…think I’ll watch “The Lives of Others” tonight.

2. Hey, I don’t wanna pee on anyone’s parade but if ever a football game was fixed that one was! That was the NFL’s gift to Dear Leader. The symbolism was darn near unbearable, and wasn’t the overaged and debauched The Who just the greatest….Vince Lombardi wouldn’t have put up with this crap!

3. I thought the Audi ad was pretty clearly intended as parody of environmentalists. I’m a little surprised to see people arguing that they were making some sort of super-green point with that commercial. Am I wrong?

• No, I think you’re exactly right. I’m frankly bamboozled by a lot of the commentary on this thing. I thought it was just the right approach to environmental issues, or at least as much as a car commercial can take the right approach– gently mocking of the extreme vision of environmental responsibility while still recognizing that preserving the environment is an important responsibility.

• The ad hits too close to home b/c that is exactly the kind of regime I can see some of the tree huggers enforcing id they got their way. The ad reminds me of the Dead Kennedy’s song “California Über Alles” with its view of CA under Gov. Moonbeam.

• Ok Joseph, I think we understand that commercial was a futuristic speculation, whose ultimate intent was to sell cars, not make some point about the environmental movement.

Given that, exactly what do you think is the strawman? Certainly environmental advocates are not repudiating the police power of state to achieve their goals, and I can’t tell if you’re trying to argue otherwise. But if not that, what?

• That “not repudiating the police power of the state” is equivalent to fascism, that environmentalism is just an excuse to boss people around and a conspiracy-hoax by Evil Communist Liberals to grab power, etc. I hear this all the time. The implication is that the real goal is to expand police powers as far as one possible can. Look at Erik’s comparison to the drug war (which, though bipartisan, has been overwhelmingly supported by conservatives). The straw man argument is that everyone who care about the environment are elitist yuppie commies who just want an excuse to make everyone the same as us and if you refuse, lock you up and steal your money. When in actual fact, we just want you to stop violating other people’s rights.
              If some people treat this as a “lifestyle” and act ridiculous, and I suppose that I should be aiming my resentment at them, but I encounter them far less often if at all (and incidentally those I have encountered tend to be the most hostile to the use of police power – they’re usually left anarchists.)

• “When in actual fact, we just want you to stop violating other people’s rights.”

I’m not following you. You’re talking about the environmental movement here, not the drug war, or are you?

In any case, it should be pretty clear that environmental movement is not repudiating the police power of the state to accomplish its goals. You could also argue further that is in fact the intent of the environmental movement, ie, to use the police power of the state to establish social control over those who disagree with them. I’m actually sympathetic to that point of view.

But it’s not necessarily the point of the commercial to go that far. Are you suggesting that it is? Again, where’s the strawman?

• You could argue that, and maybe it’s even true of some portion of the environmental movement that I’m not a party to. I’d only endorse the use of the police power in that regard insofar as not doing so would allow irreparable harm (or, okay, really expensive harm) to come to our common natural resources.

As for San Francisco…I don’t approve, but hey, localism!

• “You could argue that,…”

You could but my point is, you don’t have to. Let’s say we stipulate that the enviros are not intending as an end to establish social control over the people in general. Even so, nowhere that I know of, either in practice or in principle, are they willing to renounce the police powers of the state where such powers are deployed to their ends.

“I’d only endorse the use of the police power in that regard insofar as not doing so would allow irreparable harm (or, okay, really expensive harm) to come to our common natural resources.”

No, I don’t think you’ve actually thought this through. All manner of enviro-minded statutes, regulations, prohibitions, etc. are being enforced by the police power of the state right now. To say that you don’t endorse that except in cases of irreparable or expensive harm would require huge rollback, and I don’t think you mean that.

• Well it’s pretty clear now that we’re talking past each other, so let me just say that I think you’re mostly wrong when you say ” To say that you don’t endorse that except in cases of irreparable or expensive harm would require huge rollback”. Most of those statutes and regulations either prevent exactly that sort of harm, or are useless half-measures rife with regulatory capture that I would indeed like to rollback. Or worse, NIMBY rules that simply outsource pollution to places too poor to deal with it.

4. The Audi ad carried the same message as an ad for the A6 Wagon or something: fulfill some goal (be green / be practical) without the negative consequences (sacrificing fun). All of the green police stuff was a stand in for the increasingly confusing obligations that face yuppies trying to conform with expectations of greenness… buying offsets, drinking from the right cup, fair trade coffee, paper (errr, reusable) bags, etc, etc. The ad’s point is that you can still have fun and still burn gas at that and be green, whatever that means.

So far as that goes, I’m in league with Audi all the way. I’m as hardcore a cap-and-trader as you’ll find in the world, but when Al Gore’s outfit & NBC combine to convince Americans to turn off their lights for an hour (while still watching TV, oddly) as a prerequisite to being a responsible citizen, it’s getting ridiculous. Reducing GHG emissions will require actual sacrifice (spending more on a diesel engine and fuel and having less convenience in fuel availability in this case) and not token rituals.

At Whole Foods last week, there was a big display of “BIOWAFERS” … I have no idea what this even means, but it’s getting ridiculous.

5. Also, Robin Hood without tights is not Robin Hood. I mean he’s wearing armor and stuff in the ad… seriously? If it has flaming arrows and ahistorical explosions, I’m in, though.

6. Listen up, planet-rapers! Just like the Minutemen pick up the slack when the Border Patrol can’t stop the brown-skinned, Spanish speaking hordes, the Green Team is here to stem the tide of Illegal Consumption that overwhelms the meager resources of the Environmental Police.

And for the record, I’m not anti consumer… I’m anti ILLEGAL consumer!

7. The best thing about the game last night is that, for a change we Louisianians get to cheer together instead of cry together. As for the ads, they are ads. Get a sense of Yuma.