Map of the Day: The Seven Kingdoms of Westeros

This is pretty awesome:

westerosmap

See a larger version here.

(Via)

I know we have fallen behind in our book club. Time is tight. I’m behind on reading. I figure many of you are as well. At this point, just keep reading wherever you are and next week (next week!) we’ll all start devouring Dance.

25 thoughts on “Map of the Day: The Seven Kingdoms of Westeros

1. Fun game: is it possible to figure out who everyone at the bottom is?

From left to right, I’ve got: Jaime, Arthur Dayne, someone, Gerold Hightower, Aerys II, Varys, Pycelle, someone, Oswell Whent, and someone. One looks Dornish, and I have no idea about the other two.

2. I have a question… I read somewhere that Dance is the follow-up to the third novel. I try not to read too much about it all so that I can avoid spoilers, but is this true? If so, where does the fourth novel fit in? Does Dance take place in between the third and fourth or after the fourth? (I know that there are some prequels. I am kind of ignoring them at the moment while I focus on the main four/five.)

3. Cool. Just finished A Game of Thrones last night (technically this morning) and am ready to plunge into the winter waters of Kings. Amazing storytelling thus far. I particularly admire how the fantastic elements are present, but minimal, lurking beyond the Wall and within seemingly cold stone. It makes the their eruption all the more potent.

4. Two questions for the hivemind: the red and white shield under Castamere —who is that and why is it upside-down? Second, what’s the red, yellow, white, and black shield near Nunn’s Deep? Is that a manticore?

• First: that would be the sigil of House Reyne of Castamere. It’s upside down as a reference to Tywin’s complete annihilation of the house and its line of succession.

Second: The manticore sigil belongs to House Lorch, of which the only member we’ve seen is Ser Amory. There appears to be some dispute on the interwebs about exactly what the Lorch sigil looks like. I just did a quick Ctrl+F in my Kindle versions of the first two books, and I can see why. It’s never very clearly described, although it’s definitely a manticore.

5. Also, is it me or is House Bolton kind of cool? In like a favorite antagonist sort of way? I mean Roose Bolton and Ramsay are just such blood-curdling characters. I love it.

6. This is a great site; I had been looking for a discussion site for “A Game of Thrones” and luckily found this one. I am re-reading GoT right now, and would love to participate in the discussions. I just finished chapters 42 and 43 (Tyrion VI and Eddard XI). Am I behind with respect to you guys? Please let me know. Thanks!