Where’s TVD?

Thanks and regards to those who asked. For the past few weeks I’ve touring hospitals in Philadelphia, adding some hardware to my right femur.

reamed femur

A web image, but that’s pretty much what it looks like. Not as interesting as building hulls, but I’ve always wanted to set off metal detectors in more than just a Derek Smalls kind of way, and now I shall forevermore. Slipped on the “black ice” like a banana peel, the quickest moment of my life. In a half-second, from swaggering hale & hearty to the old lady in the commercial who’s fallen and can’t get up.

True fact. I couldn’t get up, my right leg being somewhat pulverized. Fortunately, the right arm could still throw snowballs at the window and 911 was alerted in due course.

I always liked that line in that Louis Prima song, life goes on without me. The League hath buzzed merrily along; all is calm, all is bright. For those who have missed this particular fly in the LoOG ointment, cheers. I missed me too.

Five hrs of surgery later, a heaping helping of opiates, a week of rehab and at last back to LA and a Guinness in hand, hey, I’m feeling half meself again. And if y’all missed me half as much as I missed you, I reckon that makes us even.

So buy yourself a round on me and I’ll do the same for you. Welcome back!

40 thoughts on “Where’s TVD?

1. Wow Tom, welcome back! I was worried about you (and hopefully I wasn’t the only one). ;)

When the pain meds wear off you can adjust the img src so the right side bleed off doesn’t happen (don’t know the precise number, I’m guessing about 498 width). Or Patrick can do it. Some here are going to think in their little heart of hearts that Kharma did you the deed on the ice, but I’ll just chalk it up to the trials of Job. :)

2. Mr Van Dyke, sorry to see that you were hurt. Its good to know that you’re better. It’s also good to see you back. Was worried that you had left for other pastures and wondering “should I have gotten TVD’s back more?”

Anyways, this brings up 2 issues.

First the minor stuff. Do the plates really set off metal detectors? Cause I’ve got stuff done on my jaw and they used titanium for that, which of course doesn’t set off detectors.

For the heavy stuff. Given Mr Van Dyke’s near miss. Perhaps we should have someone in RL contact you guys if anything final does happen to us. (knock wood)

3. That must have been a less than enjoyable vacation.  I figured you were just taking time away from the computer during the travels.

Good to hear from you; sorry your circumstances were terrible.  At least the Guinness is to cheer.

4. I am feeling quite torn. On the one hand, I am sorry for the whole leg thing. It looks unbeleivably painful and awful.

But I would be lying if I said I wasn’t mostly – quite selfishly – sooooo happy to see you back. I missed you a lot, dude.

5. Opiates are goooooooooooooooood.  I was on that shrimp when the big-C fished-up my arm, and I pushed the pain button at the time like I was playing Press Your Luck.

I remember an episode of Dr 90210 E! was showing where some chick was talking about how good that shrimp was pre-boob-enhancement.  At the time I laughed, but I now understand.

+…fish it I lost count.

6. Well, thank goodness this is 2012 and not 1912, when such an operation was in the distant future.  Orthopedic surgery has made such huge advances.  Doesn’t make you any less miserable I suppose, but it is a happy thought, that you’ll walk again, and soon.

I’ll pray for you.   Don’t know why I still pray yet I do.   Just got finished praying before I sat down to check this box.   Kukai the monk said all contemplating beings inhabit the same frame and become a united mind in that effort.   Often think blogging and commenting is a sort of meditation.   We may be just a collection of mortal men and women, beset with our little problems, in your case a rather large and painful problem, but we are somehow united in this.   Your suffering becomes our suffering, my suffering.   May the will of God be done on earth as in heaven.  May you find relief from your pain and some small comfort in these words.

7. This is probably the only way winter will ever get a chance to come to LA; parasitically implanted in your leg.  Good to hear your pieces are all back together.

8. Southern Californians and ice are a bad combination, unless we’re talking about drinking margaritas.

Seriously, though, I’m sorry to hear this, Tom.  And the femur, too, not just the fibula?  That’s double the misfortune, or even more.  I hope your recovery goes both smoothly and quickly.

9. Hey, I’ll bet you’re glad Obama-commiecare hasn’t kicked in yet?

You busted your legs not your arms, fingers, or hands?  If you’d have written under the influence of drugs we might have considered you moved over to THEIR side?