Post formatting and images

Below are some instructions for bloggers at this site on how to add images to posts to make them work properly as thumbnails and in the new frontpage design. It’s pretty easy. It’s also 100% necessary for everyone to do – not optional, in other words, if we want this to work. If you absolutely don’t want any image attached to your post, okay. But it will not stand out as much as the others.

First off, if you are going to have your image “wrapped” with text (which is the default setting) please make sure to edit it to 300 pixels wide. If we keep this fairly uniform, everything will look lovely.

If you want to place it above the text, spanning the top of a post (which you will have to set manually) please makes sure the image is 650 – 660 pixels wide.

To add an image to a post – after you edit it to the proper dimensions which must be done before uploading:

1) Upload your image normally, but instead of  inserting it into the post, find the link to the image in the upload screen (see below.) Copy that link.

2) Now scroll down and see where it says, just below the edit box “Post Image.” Simply paste the image link into that box. Do not paste anything into the thumbnail box. The thumbnail will auto-generate.

3) That’s all you have to do unless you are adding a larger post that you don’t want “wrapped.” If that’s the case you need to change the selection to “centered (no wrap).”

4) Hotlinking will not work. For whatever reason, if you hotlink the image will show up full size below, rather than as a thumbnail. Which will destroy the front page.

Adding “read more” tags.

In order for the new design to work properly, and in order to avoid using the auto-truncate feature which kills links, etc. we need to add the “more” tag after just a few lines. One or two paragraphs only. I assume everyone knows how to add the more tag already.

Any questions? Also, feel free to keep sounding off about the redesign in this thread as well.

31 thoughts on “Post formatting and images

• It will always be from your computer now. Download the image file onto your hard-drive. In the post, click on the add media button and upload it. Then, in the upload box (you can see the image in the above gallery) you’ll see the link – it will be an ordinary-gentlemen.com/ link.

1. Wow. Go out of town for a weekend and the name and format of the place changes. Plus I miss a chance to go on and on about why I thought Limbaugh’s apology was utterly insincere. Darn!

2. I’ll echo my earlier remarks here — of them, I think the most important is to have a reinforcement (or a stronger establishment) of the bowler hat iconography. That will keep a degree of linkage between the format we’re moving to and the identity we’ve already established.

And yay! for the light box.

And I suspect we’re all going to get a little tired of the Game of Thrones trailer real soon.

3. Oh, and a thought — where the game of thrones vid currently is, we could maybe have a nice-sized picture of the bowler hat…and perhaps some positive blurbs about the League from bloggers/journos of note?

Just throwing it out there.

4. Just a few suggestions from a designer’s standpoint: The title now is not distinct enough in comparison to the rest of the page. It gets lost as it is in the same font and isn’t distinct enough in comparison to other text to attract any attention especially with the addition of images. The original look of the blog title was better.

I encourage you to bring back the bowler hat image as it is far more visually appealing and dynamic than the hunched over old guy and will contrast better with other imagery. It also feels like without it you are losing a of bit what I think of as branding for you guys.

Have you considered color or a different font text of the title to emphasize “The League” as opposed to the entire title? Honestly, the full title never bothered me or enticed me as a woman but I’m thinking if you are considering branding yourselves as “The League”  this would emphasize the part of the title you want to encourage, but to keep the full name as well.

5. The Banner needs to be rolling off the tongue of a Monty-Python-esc black and white cut out of a guy’s head wearing a bowler hat.

And by needs, I mean that’s one possibilty.

Also, am I the only person that feels like “Gifts of Gab” next to “Off the Cuff” feels a little crowded?

6. A quibble / concern about adding pictures:  I know someone (not me, of course) who sometimes reads this blog at work, and he (or she) sometimes cuts and pastes the blog posts onto a word document to make it seem like he (or she) is doing actual work instead of reading a blog.    With pictures on the blog posts, it’s harder for him (or her) to cut and paste.

That’s just something this person wanted me to put out there, not that it’s that big of a deal for him (or her).