Arizona buried, again, beneath a tide of snow

I’m tired of snow. I know this is true because it’s hardly snowed this winter at all until now. I took the above picture about half-way through our current storm. It was about the second time I’d gone out to shovel that I thought to myself, “I really need to live somewhere without snow. Somewhere warm.”

Typically this thought only comes to me after the fact, but this time the shoveling has me irritated and sore.

Austin, TX looks like a nice place. So does Raleigh, NC (though I’m pretty sure they get snow, so maybe not.)

A few years back we got five feet of snow in as many days. The city ground to a halt under all that ice, and several roofs collapsed – including the roof of the bookstore I’m currently blogging from.

With only two feet, the city is basically up and running. Or crawling. Either way, the thrill is gone. Sure, it’s very beautiful. It’s exciting for the kids. But I realized as I shoveled away at where the plow had buried us once again that I’ve never actually lived anywhere warm. I live in Arizona, and truth be told I do love it here, but a part of me just wants plant my ass in the sand in March. Or in a swimming pool.

Maybe this is another passing moment of wanderlust. Maybe not. There are many things I love about this place, including the fact that family is nearby ready and willing to help with the kids. Or our still-new home. And I’m built for snow and cold, so maybe I’d simply melt under an actual sun.Then, too, I moved a lot as a kid, and the wandering me is perpetually dogged by the part of me that wants to remain firmly rooted in a place that has, for better or worse, become my home.

Maybe this is simply a moment of passing wanderlust. I moved around a lot as a kid, so that piece of me that’s drawn to wander is tempered mightily by the other pieces that want to stay firmly planted in a place. To call without question a place home.

Having family nearby, eager and willing to help with the kids, and a new house…well, these sides of myself find many reasons to be at perpetual odds. And besides, maybe I’d simply melt under an actual sun. I’m built for the cold physically if not psychologically.

65 thoughts on “Arizona buried, again, beneath a tide of snow

1. We got a good dump last night, which was necessary and welcome (the farmers are really, really worried about the snow dearth this winter). Today the sun is out. Sun and the sun’s reflection on snow make for a pretty miserable experience for my eyes.

At the moment, it’s looking like next winter here will be our last. We came really, really close to accepting something a few hours from where you are. But it looks like we’re staying put. I am looking forward to a place that we will be able to call home.

2. Ecch, if you want to change the weather in Arizona, just drive up to Flagstaff.   Spend some time in Sedona.    I’d drive up to Snowbowl and find snow up there in the middle of August.

Got a ton of pictures from my time there.

3. Might I humbly suggest sunny California. Palm Springs in SoCal is good if you like hot weather; the South Bay in NorCal is good if you want something a bit cooler, but still resolutely snow free.

4. Come down to Austin. Not only do we very rarely get snow, but you could build on your current rise as a video game journalist! Bioware Austin is right in town, as are a bunch of other developers! In depth interviews, hard hitting investigative reporting, etc. etc…

One might also argue this is just karma paying back Arizona with interest for all the silly laws they’re enacting…

• Minnesota over all isn’t certainly. The urban heat shield tends to deflect them from the Twin cities themselves. I’m too close in to the downtown core to fret much over tornadoes. I do not want another roaring hot summer. I’ll take the summer of 2011 thank you very much. So wonderful.

• Not for love or money (well, maybe money) would I ever work in Twin Cities again.     Couldn’t get a hotel with a decent kitchen to save my life so I was staying in Woodbury, working over by 280 and Energy Park/Kasota.   Driving I-94 coming through St Paul was an act of unmitigated sodomy every day, at every hour of day.    What’s more, though I’ve done a good deal of my work remotely, the client absolutely insisted I be there from 8 to 5.

Did an engagement in Eagan before that one.   A two mile commute.   Eagan’s got the personality of an empty cardboard box though.

Como Park, wonderful.   Theater district, a joy.   Living there?   For the birds, quite literally.   Driving in Minn/St Paul is beyond awful, and I thought Chicago and Houston and LA were bad.

• Not my experience though since I escaped directly from the howling wilderness of Nova Scotia to the Urban busom of Minneapolis perhaps I lack the experience to appreciate a nicer city. I live downtown and walk almost everywhere (only just got a car year 7 of my eight years of living here) so I can’t speak to the traffic (though to a rural Canadian all American drivers are insane). But I love Minneapolis. St Paul on the other hand is the eigth layer of hell. They don’t worship Satan in St Paul, he worships them.

• St. Paul’s pretty drab, but it’s a nice speed (unless you get on the Interstate).  Reminds me of my beloved Madison, without any of the nice stuff.  Minneapolis is certainly nicer, but I’m not quite sure what to love about it either.  Basically, the Twin Cities have most (not all) of the problems of Real Cities and some (but not that many) of what I consider to be their features.  Madison has almost none of those problems, and some pretty decent approximations of the features (and I say this as a guy who does care about things like an ass-kicking professional symphony orchestra, which Minneapolis definitely does have).  Only Chicago and New York are Chicago and New York.

I guess what I’m saying is, if you can just choose a city (and who can these days?, but if you could), and you wanted what Real Cities have to offer, for my money you would go with New York or Chicago way before you’d go with the Cities.  And if you want some nice stuff in a really livable environment without the big problems of major urban environments, for my money, among the places I’ve been, you’d go with Madison, though I know there are a lot of places like that.  I’m not sure know what you would be seeking for the Twin Cities to be the place that fits the bill just right.

5. We got 7 inches total for the winter and 4 of that was a weird March snowstorm a few days after the tornadoes. I was wearing shorts again 3 days later.

…and my grass already needs to be mowed. That just ain’t right.

6. 129 inches of snow here in Anchorage. Second highest snowfall on record. Great winter for skiing but a bit tired of shovelling. We are going to moving in a few years and are struggling with finding  a place in the west that still has good winters (ie with snow) and non oppressive summers. I’ve always like Flagstaff myself.

7. Yesterday I started my day with two hours of snow followed by one hour of rain. It was sunny and beautiful for about three hours before it began hailing like crazy for about 45 minutes. Out came the sun again! A little more snow and then it rained until I went to bed.

Love this Oregon weather!