The Sometime Blogger Formerly Known As…

Hello all!

Sorry I’ve been kind of out of touch for a month or so. I’ve had a lot of big things going on, the second-biggest of which was getting a new job.

The first-biggest, of course, is that I went and got hitched.

I still haven’t mastered the art of putting photos on here, so I can’t really do that. Not that I have any good ones yet, anyway, since the professional ones take some time to put together. (Although, if anyone wants to help me out with this, I will gladly email you one you can add.)

Anyway! I’m not quite back together enough to start posting with a ton of regularity, but I’m hoping to get there soon. The main reason I’m putting this particular post up is that I have taken the unorthodox step of taking my wife’s name instead of vice versa (be the change you want to see in the world!). Since I’m changing my display name and will no longer be known as “Ryan Bonneville”, I just wanted to let everyone know.

Two other things: I’m still working on arranging my transportation to Vegas (in case this convinces anyone to try harder to come or, more likely, not to come), and Tod Kelly is a man among men.

67 thoughts on “The Sometime Blogger Formerly Known As…

1. Mazel tov! Will Mrs. Noonan be joining us in Las Vegas?

I will be very interested in learning about the experience of changing your last name. My wife took my name and more than seven years later the process is still incomplete. So your experience, coming in a somewhat less common form, promises to be interesting indeed.

2. Congrats!

My wife was supposed to take my name, which is long, spelled incorrectly, pronounced incorrectlyer, and just a general mess. We’ve been married 8.5 months now and she still has her short, phonetic name.

3. My (now ex) husband took my last name when we married 4 years ago. It confused the people at the local social security office, but it was a breeze mostly. We got a few looks when he listed his former name as his “maiden” name on paperwork.

4. Congrats, Ryan!

My wife kept her last name, hyphenation has all the problems Will mentioned above, but it’s been a hassle. I don’t know how much of it is just the state of Georgia but we have to pull out the marriage certificate a lot more often than I think we should because people ( most importantly, state officials) want proof that two people with different last names are married. You guys will avoid that problem, at least!

• I expected more in the way of social conflicts (particularly because we live in Deep Red America), but really most of the problems we’ve had have been as you described: entities not believing we’re married or not making common privacy exceptions on the basis that we’re married. For instance, I complained about a particular credit card that wouldn’t let me make a payment on my wife’s account and was told by someone (with a shared last name) that they did that sort of thing all the time. Nobody has flinched or rolled their eyes or done anything rude about it (like insisting on calling her by my name or vice-versa), though, which I was lead to believe would happen.

• When we bought our first house the month after we got back from our honeymoon, our job duties meant that my wife did most of the daytime legwork, and I did the sitting and hearing what she had learned at night.  So when it came time to fill out all of the various mortgage paperwork, she filled out the first slots of personal information and i filled out the second.

When we moved in, we started getting all of this junk mail for new home buyers, and it was obvious that our mortgage company had sold our info and that we were automatically assumed a gender by our order of info.  SO she got all kinds of catalogues for power tools and garage-stuff, and I got the stuff for drapes, dish ware and vacuum cleaners.

5. “I have taken the unorthodox step of taking my wife’s name instead of vice versa.”

These are the moments that I realize I am not quite ready for modern culture. But nevermind that, congrats! Marrying my wife was the smartest decision of my life and after 7+ years I hope you will feel the same way. The best ones make us better men.

6. Congratulations, Ryan! Hope you make it to Vegas. Bonneville was a pretty cool name, though. For my wife and I we both opted to just keep our own names since neither of us particularly cared to give them up.

• When we got married in Canada, we were both given the option to change our names, as (I understood) all couples were offered.

We both declined, as we both were already thinking of our professional reputations.  And search engine optimization, too: “Jason Kuznicki” isn’t quite unique, but it’s close enough.

• Sure. It turns out the major thing you have to do is get a new Social Security card. The SSA doesn’t particularly care – as far as I know – which direction the name change goes, as long as you can present a recent marriage license with both names on it. Once you have a Social Security card, you can get a new driver’s license, and then you have the two most important pieces of ID it’s possible to have.

7. Such liberal sensibilities are so cute.  My mother the liberated woman wanted to hyphenate her name. She did and it was a disaster. She got mail in her maiden name, married hyphenated name and in my father’s name.  I told my fiance that she was joining my tribe and taking my name.