NFL Football Contest!

Summer’s winding down, and Labor Day’s just around the corner, which means that it’s just about time for football.

I was thinking this year we might have a contest to see whose professional gridiron predictive abilities got game.  The winner, of course, get’s the ultimate prize: bragging rights for an entire insufferable off-season.

Here are the rules:

You must list, before September 1, give your predictions for the following:

1.  The NFC Champion : (5 points, bonus 10 points if it is a team that has not made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons)
  2.  The AFC Champion : (5 points, bonus 10 points if it is a team that has not made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons)
  3.  The Super Bowl Winner : (10 points, bonus 10 points if it is a team that has not made the playoffs in the past 3 seasons)
  4.  The QB with Most Total Yard : (5 points)
  5.  The NFL Team with the Most Turnovers : (10 points)
  6.  First Coach Fired: (10 points)
  7.  The First Benched QB* : (10 points)
  8.  The first NFL Player arrested for any offense, including DUI: (15 points)

That makes for a total of 100 possible points, including bonus points.

In the event of a tie, a winner will be chosen by their answer to this last question:

The one word or phrase that will best describe the 2012-13 NFL season will be ______.

Tie-breakers will be based on a subjective combination of accuracy, originality, and entertainment value – as judged by me. Because of this, I will not be eligible to play, for which you should consider yourselves lucky: I haven’t made a correct football pick of any kind in over a decade, so I am really due.

Your predictions can be made either here in this post, or in an email to: rtodkelly@mac.com.  At the start of the seasons, I will post all predictions that were emailed.

Also, feel free to use this thread as an excuse to make wildly optimistic claims about your team’s chances and trash talk your team’s rivals.

UPDATE: I should note that in the case of “First benched QB” the correct answer will be the QB that starts on the first game of the regular season, but is replaced as a starter in some subsequent week due to poor performance.  I thought I should be clear, so someone benched for the last quarter, or to get test on a potential injury, etc. are not erroneously thought to be the winner… er, loser of this part of the contest.

47 thoughts on “NFL Football Contest!

1. I’m going to do this without referencing anything. Here goes…

1. San Francisco 49ers
    2. Pittsburg Steelers
    3. San Francisco 49ers
    4. Aaron Rogers
    5. Tampa Bay (incumbent, I think)
    6. Mike Shanahan. They won’t call it that, though… does that count?
    7. Whoever starts the season for the Jets
    8. Jerry Hughes

The one word or phrase that will best describe the 2012-13 NFL season will be “takeaway defense”.

2. I suck at these, so here goes:

1. NY Giants
    2. Pittsburg Steelers
    3. Pittsburg Steelers
    4. Aaron Rogers
    5. Arizona Cardinals
    6. Norv Turner
    7. Kevin Kolb
    8. As a Dallas-ite, I’d usually pick someone from the Cowboys for this distinction: Dez Bryant

Bonus: The one word or phrase that will best describe the 2012-13 NFL season will be “poor officiating”.

3. 1. Green Bay.
    2. Patriots
    3. Patriots
    4. Aaron Rogers
    5. Raiders
    6. Dennis Allen
    7. Mark Sanchez
    8. Pacman Jones (Do I get partial credit if it’s a different Bengal?)

4. 1. Green Bay Packers
    2. Houston Texans
    3. Green Bay Packers (come on, who did you think I would pick?)
    4. Tom Brady
    5. Seattle Seahawks
    6. Leslie Frazier
    7. Ryan Tannehill
    8. Brian Orakpo*

The phrase that will define this NFL season will be “special teams.”

* Preseason going on right now and ESPN’s jurisprudence desk is already on 24/7 alert. But I’m assuming that we’ll count arrests in the regular season.

5. 1. Green Bay
    2. New England (HA! Take that jinx, Mr. Bundchen!)
    3. New England (And you too, Belichick!)
    4. Aaron Rodgers
    5. Dallas Romos
    6. Ken Whisenhunt
    7. If he starts the season, Matt Moore will be first out, but if Ryan Tannehill wins the starting job in Miami before the season, then Kevin Kolb. If neither starts the season, then whoever wins the starting job in Seattle.
    8.Marshawn Lynch

Tiebreaker: “Lawsuits.”

6. Okay, got mine.

1. Giants
    2. Patriots
    3. Patriots
    4. The Green Bay guy. Rogers.
    5. I was torn here. Half of me wanted to say “Cutler” and the other half wanted to say “Osweiler after Manning gets injured and removed from the first game.” So let’s go with Cutler because Manning might not get injured, while Cutler will, in fact, throw that many interceptions (friggin’ crybaby).
    6. Turner. (Finally.)
    7. I want to say “Kansas City” (hey Fish! Wassup!) but their backup QB is even worse. So let’s go with Jacksonville (shoulda grabbed Tebow!)
    8. Let’s go with “Oakland”. It’ll be one of those multiple arrest things where a running back, wide receiver, and someone from special teams are all arrested at the same time.

• I have to be honest and say I have no idea how to respond to that, Patrick. I had to consult with a friend to participate and have no confidence in my ability to answer these questions correctly. I will defend my answers to the end though because it seems like something a sports fan would do even if they know they are wrong. Go Steelers!

• > I will defend my answers to the end though
          > because it seems like something a sports
          > fan would do even if they know they are wrong.

And you started off by saying you had no idea how to respond to that. This was perfect!

7. Late to the party but here we go:

1. San Fransisco 49ers (I was going to vote Philly for the long shot at 10 points but they made the playoffs in 2010, natch)
    2. Baltimore Ravens

Super Bowl Winner: Baltimore Ravens
    QB w/ most total yards: Aaron Rodgers
    Team w/ most turnovers: Minnesota Vikings
    First Coach Fired: Rex Ryan
    First Benched QB: Mark Sanchez
    First player arrested: DeAngelo Hall

One word or phrase to describe the season: Bad officiating