Wait… aren’t the men on the right supposed to be the manly men?

Yeah, yeah, I get that Republican men are stereotypically big on guns, Chuck Norris, and being able to put up posters of Playboy centerfolds at the office without having to worry about that it might hurt the feminazis’ feelings and all.  And because of this, I’ve been always been willing to concede to them the Uber-Testosterone Award at the Two-Party Bragging Rights Sweepstakes.

After seeing this, however, I am starting to wonder if all that other macho stuff isn’t an attempt to over-compensate some… er… um… well, let’s just say “shortcomings”:

Wait... aren't the men on the <em>right</em> supposed to be the manly men?

According to the National Journal, Republican men skew toward Light Beer, mass-market pilsners, and whatever the hell kind of Madison Avenued, watered down, p**s-flavored monstrosity “Michelobe Ultra” might be.  High Turnout Dems, on the other hand, lean toward microbrews, imports and pints of puts-hair-on-your-chest stouts like Guinness.

If I were still an undecided voter, this would definitely tip the scales toward the stealth-Muslim Kenyan.

(H/T: Andrew Sullivan)

Follow Tod on Twitter, view his archive, or email him.

95 thoughts on “Wait… aren’t the men on the right supposed to be the manly men?

1. Lone Star is without doubt the best of the “cheap” beers. Folks who drink it have exceptional taste but can’t afford to get to the polls. Shiner Bock is the best mid-range beer, but costs more. So … higher voter turnout for them. Both from Texas, acourse.

What’s the problem here?

2. Strikes me as very likely a class issue first and foremost and an accessibility issue after that.

Wealthy urbanites can afford and have access to a great deal of “hair on your chest” brews.
    Poor rural folks of course are going to drink differently.

I’d be interested in seeing the same survey done with spirits.

3. I don’t think I’m getting the joke.

Is it about the “light beer” thing? I suspect that’s a function of age.

Stillwater gets the Texas beers right. I’d only add that because of its price, Lone Star has a lot of younger drinkers who probably aren’t in to the whole voting thing yet. I’m not surprised Shiner is Republican, but I’m surprised it’s so far off to the right.

4. I’m apparently in the right position for someone who prefers Guinness. (I think Yeungling is misplaced – maybe the lager tilts GOP, but Black&Tan is for liberal drinkers).

btw, I guess this means a mother of two is more ‘manly’ than those right wing manly men. ;)

5. So as a Leinie drinker, apparently I’m a high turnout Republican. But I skip half or more of all elections and have voted for only two Republican candidates in my life. That proves polls are false and Mitt Romney is actyally going to win by 10.

• Is Leinie good? They used to have a bunch of the different varieties at DC bars, which made me suspect it was local, but I don’t think it was. I never really enjoyed it, though I had only begun to expand my beer palette. Seemed like they had 9 billion different types.

• Leinie’s is from Wisconin. I like a lot of their varieties, but not all (as a brand increases the number of its varieties, the probability of not liking one of them approaches zero). I really like their Red, their Honey Weiss, their CreamyDark,and their Classic Amber(which may be indistinguishable from Newcastle’s Brown). I’d like to try their porter, but I’ve never found it around here.

But everyone’s taste buds differ, so if you don’t like it, that just means more for me. As long as you’re drinking something beyond Bud, Miller, Michelob, you’re doing all right.

And here’s a beer I just recently discovered, Breckenridge Brewery’s Vanilla Porter. Great flavor, perhaps a little heavy on the hops (almost IPA hoppy). I’m pretty sure it puts me in the “‘too busy to vote ’cause I’ll be snowboarding, dude,’ liberal” space of the lower left quadrant.

• I remember they had a bunch of fruity (as in actually flavored to taste like fruit) ones. Is that accurate or am I getting mixed up?

I tend to drink Bud Heavies if I’m going to for something light, cheap, and predictable. Sometimes I just want something I can suck back for an extended period without getting wasted. I find Bud to be the best of the major “domestic” macro brews.

If I’m going fancy and want something to actually savor and enjoy, I’m usually going with IPAs or pale ales in the fall and winter and heffs in the spring and summer. Overall, I prefer the hoppier ones, but they don’t really satiate the way I want them to in the heat. I can enjoy most any style if it’s well done. I’ll see if I can find the Breckenridge. If the vanilla isn’t too sweet, I could see myself really enjoying that… especially in a ski lodge while I smartly park myself indoors watching football while my friends tumble down the mountain.

While we’re naming good brews, I’m increasingly enjoying the brews made by Yards and Victory, both out of Philly. Victory seems to have wider and more far reaching availability, but both make a pretty good variety of well-crafted beers.

• They have a berry Weiss and a lemon shandy I don’t care for. Their Sunset Wheat comes off a bit fruity for me, too. If I want fruit and grain together I’ll slice some bananas onto my Wheaties, but I don’t want it in my beer.

I doubt I can find your Philly beers, but I’ve got a good liquor store lesson half a mile away, so I’ll take a look tomorrow.

• Yea, those sounds like some of the ones I saw. Sunset Wheat was a popular one. The odd thing was, they were often on special or otherwise one of the “cheap” beers, which is partly what led me to believe it was local and shitty.

You should be able to find some Victory… Hop Devil and Prima Pils are pretty popular and I’ve seen in quite a few places. Regardless, grab something tasty! I’ll (hopefully) be tripping balls on vicodin.

• The one and only time I took vic before this, I was up all night convinced my computer was trying to kill me. I sort of saw it the way Kevin saw the furnace in “Home Alone”.

“How old were you?” Zazzy asked when I retold this story.
                  “22.”

• A friend of mine once took vicodin in conjunction with some wacky terbacky, and it made him extremely, extremely paranoid (he was riding in a car and was convinced that he was going to die in a fiery crash at any moment; every intersection was sheer terror).

I don’t really care for opiates at all.

• Last night I imagined elves in the room. Not Santa elves. Evil elves hell bent on psychologically torturing me all night. They weren’t really aiming to physically harm me, as they maintained a primarily hidden presence. But they were there. And they were plotting.

I’m fine during the waking hours with the stuff. But once I try to sleep… all hell breaks loose. Probably switching over to ibuprofen until the real pain sets in. Also, that should allow me to drink (cue Dr. Saunders BMing on my BM plans).

6. I find at least one drinkable beer in any quadrant except lower left.

So if I find myself in a low-turnout Democrat bar, I am gonna be out of luck, ‘cos that is a totally crap selection.

• I never remember which of the two Dos Equis varieties I like, but it is pretty solid. It doesn’t help that my buddy used to work for the ad agency that represented them and we always drank it for free (he’s since moved up to Diageo, which represents a great array of quality spirits, ho hum). Corona is always a solid option. I don’t love Heineken, but find Heineken Light highly drinkable.

In addition to the two “Mexican” beers here, I will say that my anecdotal experience tells me Heineken and Corona to be popular among African-Americans, for what that’s worth.

• Microbrews = metrosexual = Democrat

No surprise here. Republicans have jobs and if you recall the original Miller lite commercials, can’t afford to get filled* up.

Among Repubs who ain’t got jobs–and I don’t deny there are many, the 47% notwithstanding—it’s Wild Turkey or meth. Both. Yum. ;-)

The Urban Dictionary gives me hope there is common ground betw Dem and GOP, though. It goes something like this:

1. natural ice 243 up, 60 down
      A beer that tastes bad so the first two cans are a labor of love. After that it goes down smooth, you keep pounding it until you pass out. This is usually achieved before beer #12 because Natty Ice is 5.9% ABV.

A cheap Ice brewed beer made by Anheuser Busch and is said to be a collection of leftover crap. This is possibly true because some cans are creamy and some are bitter.

College student 1: We have $12 lets split a dirty 30.
      College student 2: So you want to get Busch?
      College student 1: Yo dumbshit you know Busch is $14 we need Natty.
      College student 2: You’re right. Natural Ice is cheaper and more alcoholic so we’ll be fuckin fat bitches in no time!

Natty Ice, the Lowlife Common Denominator. Let’s all split a Dirty 30. This one’s for you, Uncle Sam. 8-P

__________
      *I mean like F***ED-UP. Everybody knew what Dick Butkus was saying with that wink—“I can’t afford to get filled-up.” I hearya, brother.

7. I’m an Anchor Steam guy, largely for patriotic reasons, but Anchor Porter, when you can find it, is delicious. And I don’t understand why Stella gets such a bad rap; it’s a very drinkable, smooth, lightish beer.

8. Alas, Dixie Brewing was damaged beyond repair by Katrina, so my favorite microbrew, Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager, is no longer available. That was Good Stuff — with a nice taste and depth, without the bitterness I find in most dark beers. Man, I miss that beer.

9. There’s considerable distortion inherent in this study. Put aside the partisanship for just a bit: most of us drink. Our current president brews a honey brown ale in the White House and reconciles policemen to professors over a few glasses of beer. Trying to lump “Any microbrew” into a single statistical entity on the Democratic side just won’t do: what sort of beer’s being made? Ale? Stout? Lager? Surely a discriminating palate is not concerned with politics of the brewer or his fellow drinkers.

A microbrewery is no different than a local bakery. They’re cropping up here and there and everywhere. As for Leinenkugel products being a far-right thing, it’s just not true, at least it wasn’t in Eau Claire and Chippewa, where it’s made.

10. Accepting the premise of the post i.e. heavier beers are more manly, consider this: What’s more manly than pounding 10 beers with your buddy? You can’t do that with microbrews (I’ve tried once or twice). Pale lagers facilitate over-consumption, bar fights, etc which is SUPER manly.

In all seriousness though, this chart is nuts. Who puts Guinness and Micholb Light in the same group? That’s criminal…

11. I prefer craft brew, very much so (my favorites among such tending towards huge imperial stouts, btw). But at times I will slum it, and in those moments I prefer malt liquor over anything that would have the word “lite” on it anywhere.

So where am I?

12. I wonder if someone’s put together a similar chart for liquor; I’m a near-socialist and I love a good single-malt scotch (I’m drinking a tumbler of 15-year Glenfiddich as I read this).