Weekend!

Holy cow, is tomorrow Friday already?

Indeed it is.

I moved out here my senior year of high school. (I’m not complaining, I’m just saying.) I made a handful of very close friends but, as I’m sure you can guess, they told me stories about the close friends I might have made had I moved there the year before or the year before.

Well, this Friday night, one of those close friends I might have made is in town at a local comedy club where he will be doing his stand-up comedy routine. Now, in general, I hate comedy. (This is probably an essay in itself.) Don’t get me wrong: I love witty wordplay, I enjoy when people tell jokes well, and slapstick is freakin’ awesome.

It’s stand-up that gets me all wrong. You have to be, like, Lenny Bruce level to make me say “Yes. *THAT* is how I will spend my evening.”

Or, I suppose, one of the friends I might have made had I moved earlier.

So… what’s on your docket?

33 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. Friday: Checking out a new BBQ joint with friends

Saturday: Another set of friends are getting married

Sunday: Networking with the American Association of Justice (aka The Tort Lawyers!)

2. Taking my son and his little brother, who turned 5 today, to the beach Saturday. Hoping not to get sun burned or stung by jelly fish, both of which I seem to manage to do every time I go to the beach.

3. Looks like an old friend is fairly close by this weekend (down from Portland, doing some spec work in SJ), so we are trying to find a way to get together.

4. Going to the Jersey Shore for the first time since Sandy; staying in Brigantine and taking the Five Year Old and her cousin to Margate to see Lucy the Elephant. Letting the in-laws watch the kids Saturday night so The Wife and I can go to our favorite restaurant (The Knife and Fork) in Atlantic City. Coming back Monday then getting ready for a business trip to either Montana or Eastern Washington (depending on the whims of the airline flight schedules).

5. I have been kind of lazy this week (Borderlands 2), so there will be a heavy amount of focused guitar practice to make up for neglecting it. There will also be some movie watching, and maybe some LoTR Living Card Game solo play.

6. I will be spending the weekend visiting with family and childhood friends while James slaves away in the hot sun fending off ravenous mosquitos fixing our house.

7. If all goes according to plan, I will be hitting a water park on Sunday… FINALLY! For several years now, I have attempted to go to a water park on my birthday, which is later in the summer. Plans have been derailed by, among other things, a hurricane and a pregnancy (Pregnicane? YES… new SciFi movie!). Right now, all seems a go for Sunday.

In addition to that, we’re going to a friend’s going away party on Saturday.

Regarding stand up, what makes it uncomfortable for you, Jay? Zazzy is deftly afraid to go, because her anxiety will act up if either the comic sucks OR if an audience member gets picked on too fiercely. Should that audience member be her, she’ll just curl up into a ball and die. Like, literally, die. I’m going to try to get her to go see a big name comic in a big venue, where we’ll be assured he’s funny and we don’t have to worry about the guy next to us getting mocked for his sweater.

• Hitting Splashtown (or is it Splashdown?) Beach. I’ve never been, it seems smaller than most, and lacks the danger factor of Action Park, but I’ll take it. If the water is boiling, it will hopefully cut down on the lines so I can rip more slides.

• We’ve got friends over in Fishkill who invited us for dinner and I said, “Oh, yea, definitely. Hey, on the way, why don’t we go to the water park?”

Action Park has since been shut down, sold, redone, and re-opened as Mountain Creek. I haven’t been to the water park since that happened (only the ski mountain) but it appears they took whatever steps necessary so that people would stop dying. I assume that means the Alpine Slide is no more… :-(

8. stand up in live setting is better that on tv. granted my experience is limited, i think i’ve been to a stand up show three times in my life and one of those was george carlin ( yes he was abdomen splitting funny). one other time was after work with some friends. but the live experience does help. the last time was few years ago in Houston with my niece. one of the comics, who was reasonably funny, talked quite a bit about his recent success of being in a subway commercial. that was funnier that it sounds although not necessarily in the way the comic thought it was funny.

9. tonight was pretty good, and we got Important News from our friends, so that was cool.

tomorrow is resting. and gaming.

Sunday I’m marching with my workplace in our local Pride Parade. There are only like 10 people from our school marching, and 4 of them are people I like and don’t see enough of, so that should be cool. (The other 6 I just don’t particularly know.)

Then I’m making Jay shave my head.

Monday I have to go to the dentist, but not until 2 – so there will be major self-indulgence that morning. Monday night, we get to watch wrestling with Dman and his family.

Somewhere in there I should start thinking about NZ logistics, as in WHAT DO I PACK. Only 2 weekends left before I go, and weekend after next is already very full.