Sunday!

Earlier this year (like, January/February), a couple of movies came out from the ACTION! stars of the 80’s. Schwarzenegger came out with The Last StandSunday!, a cheerfully implausible movie about a small-town sheriff (with a past? maybe!) who is the only thing in the way between a drug kingpin running away from the cops and the border. Bullets, car chases, monologues. What more could you possibly want?

Well, soon after, Stallone came out with Bullet to the HeadSunday!. Now, this movie (directed by Walter Hill (!)) is less cheerful but equally implausible. Stallone and Some Dude are a team of hitmen (does Stallone call Some Dude “kid”, I don’t precisely remember but he may as well have done so) and a particular hit Goes South. You know the whole “half up front, half when the job is done” thing? Well, the half when the job is done turned into an attempt to hit the hitmen. Some Dude dies. Stallone survives… and now he has to avenge Some Dude (whom he may have called “kid”). Along the way, he makes an unlikely alliance with a policeman who may or may not be avenging someone that he cares about. Together: they fight crime. It’s pretty much by-the-numbers and never gets worse than “competent” and, at its best, it’ll have you wonder “why they don’t just make solid movies like this one anymore?”

A couple of 80’s movies starring 80’s stars playing characters who both seem to be wondering “what in the hell is the world coming to?” in their own understated way.

So… what are you reading and/or watching?

24 thoughts on “Sunday!

1. Glimpses of the Moon by Edith Wharton.

What We Talk About When We Talk About Anne Frank by Nathan Englander

The Crisis of the European Mind by Paul Hazard

2. Watching Hell on Wheels season 2, because Netflix emailed me that it’s available, and I am Pavlov’s dog. Also, I love that everyone looks dirty and rough, while Common has a perfectly groomed beard and has clearly taken at least two showers pre-shoot.

Reading The Mysteries of Udolpho.

3. I just finished watching Eagle Vs. Shark, and it was weird and adorable.

I’ve been reading like whoa this week. Finished rereading the Night Circus, read Jasper Fforde’s Shades of Grey: The Road to High Saffron ( <3 ), and a bunch of New Zealandy stuff like a natural history of the place and some Katherine Mansfield. And a couple of trashy novels.

• Oh, we did not care for Eagle vs. Shark. Too self-consciously quirky by half.

Speaking of weird cult-y movies that weren’t as good as I’d hoped, I watched John Dies At The End this week. It definitely aspires to Buckaroo Banzai-style midnight-movie status, complete with obvious setup for sequels, but it’s not great (though if you are bored on a Saturday night there are worse movies you could watch with friends).

4. Just finished reading “the Rule of the Clan” by Mark Weiner. Excellent book on how, absent a strong state, people tend to form extended family clans. A must read for those leaning toward anarchism ( as it spells out the potential downside).

Recently finished watching “My Way” a Korean WWII movie on Netflix. I find I watch more foreign language movies now than I do TV.

From a listening angle, I borrowed all the Doors CDs from the library. These guys were incredible!!!

I am now starting vacation on the beach and brought a paperback of the first of Asimov’s Foundation series. I’ve never read it.

5. Reading “Ender’s Game.” Zazzy finished it last week and I picked it up. Still very early.

It should be noted that Zazzy’s choice of literature seems limited to young adult fiction that are being turned into major motion pictures… Twilight, Hunger Games trilogy, Ender’s, and now The Immortal Instruments trilogy. I’ll join her for Ender’s… not sure about the rest.

6. Speaking of Arnold movies, I LOVE True Lies. I never tire of seeing this movie. The only thing wrong is that it depicts Muslim extremists as terrorists. What? Huh?

• That movie really is great. I was 11 when it came out and remember thinking, “This is a great action movie!” A few years later, my dad pointed out that it was really a satire of an action movie. Upon rewatching, I realized just how right he was. But it still functions well as both. Very well done.

7. Late to the game. I’m about a quarter of the way through Ike’s Bluff and spent the bulk of Sunday getting great value out of my eighteen-dollar gamestop purchase of a used copy of Tropico 4. Tonight, I’m going to listen to all the hip-hop that Chris put together for my edification (although we have use of our next-door neighbor’s pool this week too).

8. I am still working my way through Atlas Shrugged (No Religion, No Politics). I am within fifteen hours of completion. One of the things that I’ve noticed is that two of the three most interesting characters in this story are female (Lillian and Cheryl, Fransisco being the third). Which is remarkable because there are, by my count, only three female characters total.