Weekend!

We are lucky enough to have been invited to the wake and funeral for the dear father of a dear friend and so this weekend will be devoted to the strange kinds of parties that follow when these things happen pretty much the way that they’re supposed to.

It’s the last weekend before schedules get flipped around in Casa Di Pájaro (all Summer, Maribou and I are on the same schedule… all Autumn, Winter, and Spring, we’re on staggered).

It’s a weekend of transitions, mostly. Gentle ones. The world turning and working out, for good or ill, the way that, pretty much, you should want it to, given all of the other options.

And laundry.

So… what’s on your docket?

54 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. I have about two weeks of editing work to do by Tuesday, so, I’ll be makin’ the page bleed.

We’re going to see some band I’ve never heard of Saturday, but other than that, I will be sittin’ right here looking at a computer screen.

• Ugh, I apparently didn’t get the comment through the first time. The Furs were just OK. The new Antones is pretty cool though (Antones is an Austin institution).

And we’re seeing a duo (not really a band) called Majical Cloudz. I hear they put on a great show, but I don’t know them at all, and I’m purposefully not listening to them, ’cause I’m goin’ whether I like ’em or not, so I might as well just experience it raw.

• “Majical Cloudz”?

I’m really starting to have some trouble with all of these misspelled bands. Sure, “The Psychedelic Furs” is a nonsensical concept…but it’s spelled correctly, dammit!

Also, my lawn, etc., etc.

• The trend that amuses me is the removal of all vowels, as in TNGHT or SBTRKT (which is both vowel-less and intentionally misspelled!). I’m starting to think young people are trolling us.

SBTRKT:

TNGHT (your are going to need headphones for this one — the bass is, well, it’s about the bass):

If you want to break your brain, listen to TNGHT’s “Easy Easy.” I don’t know whether I’m supposed to dance or run for the door because some sort of broken emergency alarm is going off. And even though I’m not listening to it in a club, I can feel my chest vibrating from the memory.

• – keep forgetting to say, I checked the linked SBTRKT and TNGHT out…not bad! Previously I had only heard SBTRKT’s “Timeless” remix…while it was kinda cool because it acknowledges the d’n’b heritage explicitly (and it’s not bad on its own), the revival I recently experienced of OG “Timeless” means the remix sounded simplistic in comparison.

The original is a percussion symphony. Sbtrktng the drums means the tune loses most of what makes it so great.

• – Actually, I think that remix is the only one I have ever heard…maybe that track is daunting.

Yeah, that SBTRKT is not bad at all. I’ll keep an eye out for a cheap copy. We were talking recently about production tricks that pop up in various spots and that Sampha track has one that I first noticed around the time The Knife started getting big – that “steel drum” tone. I thought Knife were getting it from Siouxsie/Creatures, but then it also popped up in tracks by Pantha du Prince and even one of the more recent Burial tracks.

Holy crap the After Dark 2 comp is terrific.

• I listened to most of the After Dark 2 compilation, and it’s not bad. There’s a lot of Johnny Jewel in it, and Johnny Jewel really likes: 1) attractive female singers with a particular type of voice (not all that strong or emotive, and pixie-ish, if that makes sense), and 2) really, really laid back beats. Instead of Italian disco, it might be better to call his style sleepy disco. It’s great music for sitting around with a glass of Scotch or Port (or this is Italian disco, so I suppose we’re going to have to have a nice red wine), flirting after a nice late dinner.

2. Probably taking the boy to see Planes tomorrow. Reviews are abysmal, but he really wants to see it.

If I can steal a couple more hours for me this weekend, I’d like to go see The World’s End.

It’s probably more likely that I will have to wait to see it at home. Maybe make it a double feature with This is the End.

This looks to be an interesting ongoing feature over at AVClub:

• He’s 4. I waited too long to get to the movies because he also wanted to see Turbo (the racing snail movie) which had at least the reputation of being average, but it was gone, so Planes it was.

The funny thing is, I think on some level he realized Planes wasn’t good – he kept squirming and saying things like “this is taking SO LONG” – but he ate like a whole bag of popcorn and as we were leaving the theater he said “that was GREAT!”

Movie and snack cost for the two of us? Almost $40. Jeez.

3. It’s either out with the kayak or off to Old Town for me– depending on the heat.
    Or maybe a little of both.
    In which case, I hope to find more unidentifiable bones out with the kayak than traipsing through Old Town.
    That’s my plan anyway. . . .

4. I’ll probably be doing some work this weekend, but I’ve been doing contract work this month, mostly making my own hours, so I’ll probably take Friday afternoon off and then do some work after the kids are in bed.

Also, there’s some sort of harvest/small town/farmer thing going on at the small town museum down the road from my Mom-in-law, so we’ll be going there Sunday. And two words: Corn Maze.

CORN. MAZE.

5. It was a lovely viewing.

We sat there with our various spouses and cried and watched the matriarch kiss her husband goodbye and we thought “this is what ‘lucky’ means”.

Internment tomorrow.

Scotch tomorrow night.

6. The lady of the house turns four this weekend. Small party has gotten larger than expected, which should mean more fun than expected. Jason’s making a 3D bear-shaped chocolate cake, which Alice requested be decorated “like a zombie!” Then she held her fists up to her mouth and smiled really big because she knew she’d just said something KEE-RAY-ZEE. If Jason lets me photograph it, I promise to post it here.

7. We are an all-male household for the holiday weekend. That means that either Saturday or Sunday, I’ll grill T-Bones and the boyos and I will eat them watching a Guy Movie. (I’m thinking maybe Fistful of Dollars or its 20s gangster remake, Last Man Standing.) I’ll also do a little late-night Breaking Bad binging, to see if I can catch up to where the series is now and watch the last episodes with my boys, who have been loving it for a while.

Also, maybe slaughtering a pig. We’ll see.

8. Celebrating.
    Three weeks I’ve been working on a unicode conversion,
    only to discover the problem was folks using some
    misbegotten hodgepodge of Odbc 2.0 and 3.0 specs.
    Well, it’s working now!

9. Long weekend with Junior. I should really start planning his 4th birthday party; thanks for the reminder, Boegiboe. I think we will go to the lake, maybe see a movie, and he has been asking me to take him bowling, so there’s that.

When I’m not with family, I will be enjoy being a single, young woman. I should also learn about this fantasy football business…

10. I have a stack of work lined up, having taken some time during this week to play go on development junkets, and looking at a vacation the week after next. So I’ll relax then. This weekend, I’ve gotta do the time so I can have fun at other times.

11. My wife and daughter will be out of town for a couple of weeks – I’m going to the library and picking up a big stack of books.

I’ll also try to make a batch of beer, attend a demonstration, watch a bike race, put up a laundry line. Sometime before the family is back, I also have to put on a big pot of coffee and do two years’ worth of overdue income taxes for the family.