Sunday!

The date night culminated in The Best Exotic Marigold HotelSunday!. There are worse date night movies you could watch on a “middle-aged” birthday. I’d seen the movie dismissed as “Oh Those Precocious Old People!” but, hey, these are some pretty skilled actors who are acting precocious here. And that dismissal completely overlooks the wonderful acting in the sub-plot done by the Hotel Manager and his would-be fianc√©. If I were to criticize, I’d say that “jeez, it’s a country of one billion people but these guys all know each other” but I understand that Seattle is the exact same way.

Yes, it’s generally a happy/cheerful movie with people “finding” themselves and whatnot but, hey. Sometimes that’s just kind of nice.

So… what are you reading and/or watching?

27 thoughts on “Sunday!

1. I liked Best Exotic, primarily because of the amazing cast.

As for me, I just finished In The Woods by Tana French, one of those rare who-done-it genre pieces that’s written as if it were literature. Think: a Michael Chabon murder mystery. I highly recommend.

2. Happy birthday!

Reading Effi Briest.

I finished the second season of Continuum, and now I have nothing to watch! Or a lot of stuff to watch, but I dunno which to pick. It’s somewhere between those two.

3. I’m reading &Sons by David Gilbert. Imagine if Louis Auchincloss was an egotistical dick and had more of a Salinger mythos and now was an old man who wanted to reconnect to his three sons.

4. Drove 200 miles on the back roads today to see the fall colors. Listened to the Pack win. All in all a great day. Yesterday (Saturday) was the lazy rainy day. I watched Halo 4 and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire hunter.

5. I’ve been reading The Warmth of Other Suns, about black Americans who migrated from the southern states to the northern and western ones in the mid-1900s. It’s excellently written, with the stories of the lives of three different people interspersed with broader descriptions of events and shorter anecdotes. It’s really interesting.

I recently finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, about the black woman who was the source of a vast amount of modern biological research. She had an incredibly aggressive cancer, which the doctors took samples of, and which enabled the first human cell culture and has been the source of the cells for most of the experiments doctors and scientists have done with human tissue. Nobody thought anything of giving the tissue samples away at the time, but it’s frustrating because her tissue has become a multi-billion dollar industry while her kids and grandkids are still very poor and struggling and feel they’ve been ripped off (and have had rough lives in a lot of other ways) and pretty much everyone writing about the whole matter has been more interested in the cells than in them and their mother’s life. So it’s about both Henrietta Lacks’ life and her family’s lives and their community, and about her cells’ effects on science. It’s another very well-written and engaging story.

Also read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova, which is an excellent Dracula story set in Cold War Europe.

6. Spent 3 hours taking a test to renew my swim official’s license. That’ll spoil your Sunday. But I passed.
    Reading up on Belize, in prep for a course that will take students there over spring break. Anticipated starting date, spring 2015.

7. Got some reading done while my car was having some work done, book four of The Wheel of Time.

I watched a few episodes of Supernatural (season 2) and Attack on Titan (which took an unexpected turn a few episodes in).

I also watched the first episode of The Wire. I think The Wire will be a little bit slower to get through than other shows, because it seems to be one that demands full attention. I do not see myself watching it while fiddling with something in my tablet.

• The Wire demands more of its viewers than almost any show I have ever seen. They do not underline events that turn out to be important later (sometimes many, many episodes later…there’s a huge plot point that IIRC takes at least 8 episodes to pay off, and when it does, they don’t give you any “flashback” or anything to remind you.)

They expect that you paid attention, and remember. The tagline for S1 was “Listen Carefully”, and they mean it. I think Sepinwall or somebody wrote that great TV shows teach you how to watch them, and Wire is a great example of that. Definitely not a “watch while you check e-mails” show.

It’s also a weird experience time-wise…the episodes can feel sometimes slow and long, because they contain a *lot* of information (and each season adds a new corner of the world and its players, ultimately showing how they are all part of the same game); so episodes rarely seemed to “fly by”, as we often say about engrossing entertainment.

But at the same time, when they are over, they feel substantial, satisfying, and you have a feeling of “surfacing” when they are over; maybe this is because it engages your brain, as much as it does your emotions?

8. OMG Luther!!!!
    Watched both series 1 and series 2 in one giant huge gulp over a couple of days this week. Acting amazing, carries through even the most implausible situations (honestly, I think the plausibility of the implausible is a big part of the pull). Had to ban myself from watching series 3 until I get some work done.

I also enjoyed the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Not sure I *finished* any books this week, though I am in the middle of several. Almost finished Redshirts. Halfway through Gould’s Book of Fish. etc.