Awesome!

It’s right there in the post title, but that will be the only unencrypted spoiler you find here.

Against all odds, The Lego Movie is the best non-Pixar CGI movie I’ve seen in – well, maybe ever.

The comedy is anarchic, like the best bits of Robot Chicken – Lego’s licensing of other properties allows the filmmakers to create a universe in which DC characters bump up against Star Wars characters (and Lord of the Rings characters, and many others) to hilarious effect (a louche Lando Calrissian has an appropriately sleazy cameo; and the Batman is kind of a sullen jerk with daddy issues).

In fact, the whole movie is stacked high with sly references to other media and films (off the top of my head: nods to Aliens, The Matrix, Monty Python, The Simpsons, and “Mr. Bill” all make appearances, along with too many more to count.)

But it’s more than just 100 minutes of winks – like Toy Story, the filmmakers have managed to sneak something deeper, maybe even a little bit profound, into a movie about multicolored pieces of plastic; in the film’s final act, there’s some stuff that may hit dads like a ten-ton nubbed interlocking brick.

It even manages to do something a little different with the old “Chosen One” trope, and take its digs at mindless, endless conformity, while simultaneously celebrating teamwork.

If you’ve got kids, or even if you don’t, you could do a whole lot worse than this movie.

(I don’t know whether to be sad or proud that I came up with the idea of the qbhoyr-qrpxre fbsn long before this movie did).

18 thoughts on “Awesome!

1. When I saw the trailer for this thing, I thought it looked like the worst movie in the world, along the lines of Epic Movie, Meet the Spartans, and similar crap.

With the number of recommendations it’s garnering, I may actually have to go see it.

• Maribou and I saw it on Saturday and we loved it. It was downright funny. It made pop culture references that were funny (as opposed to the “Look! Paris Hilton! Look! Amy Winehouse!” variant). There were jokes for the kids stacked on jokes for the adults and both of the jokes were funny.

Here’s an example: the #1 Sitcom Comedy in Lego City is “Honey, Where Are My Pants?”

That’s some good layering there.

I put it up there with Monsters Inc, on the kiddie movie scale.

2. The Boyfriend is a gigantic Lego fan and rarely sees movies in theater because of work schedule, so this became our Valentine’s day outing. I, too, was skeptical from the trailers, but my Facebook friends were saying good things.

It is my favorite 3d animated movie of all time.

• It’s the little Simpsons-esque bits I keep flashing back to – Emmett is Homer-esque more than once (his endless fall that recalls the Springfield Gorge jump, his doofy inner monologue while Wildstyle is expositing, and my favorite – his individualized greeting to each cat, that lets you know by tone that there’s bad blood involved in one case).

• OT: When did it become popular to say The Boyfriend or The Boy instead of my boyfriend?

I don’t think I’ve noticed men saying “The girlfriend” or “the girl” instead of my girlfriend?

Does the make it seem less possessive than my/mine?

When I see things like The Boyfriend, I think in terms of some sort of collective Onion headline like this one:

• I pretty much just use “the boyfreind” on OT, and in contexts where I would simply refer to him by name offline. I’m strongly influenced by Russell and his “The Better Half” et al.

There’s an element of possessiveness I’m trying to avoid, certainly. But I’m also trying to connote an element of permanence/seriousness that’s not always attached to “Boyfriend” by using articles that are more commonly attached to “Husband” and “Wife”.

• The day after I saw the movie with my kids, I was leaving their Mom’s house and about 5 houses down, one of the neighbor kids was outside and he sang the first verse, “Everything is Awesome!” really loud and I immediately answered him back with the next verse, and pretty soon, he and I were singing it back and forth to each other. I felt kind of silly but proud I could engage this kid on his level.

3. Okay – this is like the 10th extremely positive review I have seen. I have officially gone from ‘interested in catching it on DVD’ to ‘I’ll be at the movie theater next week’.

4. Jaybird and I also both enjoyed this movie A LOT. I’m sure we’d have more to say about it but we are without internet or phone at home *frown*. I’m supposed to be doing homework, but I just wanted to say, HI EVERYBODY WE HAVE NO INTERNET OR PHONE AND WE MISS YOU.

5. Saw it, was bemused/amused and nodded in approval at the underlying message. I wouldn’t say I loved it but I definitly enjoyed it and didn’t regret paying to see it. My overriding thought walking out of the movie is that it’s got to be one of the most successful naked product placement movies in the history of the genre. The execs at Lego must be absolutely exstatic.

6. I thought this was a great movie. Definitely one of me top animated movies (with Toy Story and Monsters Inc.). I went with my five year old son. He thought the first part of the movie was good, but did not like the father/son stuff and started to ask when the movie was going to be over. Probably just a little too young for that.