Weekend!

So I wake up this morning, as I woke up most mornings in April, startled. Oh. It’s the alarm clock. Oh. It’s not *MY* alarm clock. Oh. It’s the alarm clock in this hotel room. Oh. I’m in Maryland. Oh.

Snooze.

Repeat a couple of times.

Well, I’m pleased to say that Friday will allow for a leisurely wakeup followed by all day being spent on a plane until just before 8PM Mountain Time… At which point I will be staggering into my home city once again.

Which means that Saturday will be spent sleeping in leisurely until I wake up 2 hours early because of the timezone thing. And then, you know, errands, chores, and the general things that were agreed upon to be Jaybird’s Problem When He Got Back (e.g. “setting up the bedroom’s air conditioner”).

Meanwhile, it will also be Free Comic Book Day, which means Maribou will be working all morning but she claims not to mind because, hey, free comics. (Be sure to patronize your local comic book store and pick up a free comic book and maybe check out the shelves for a collection that might strike your fancy!)

Saturday night will have some time carved out for the babies, specifically Cecilia, who, I’m told, has been sitting on the couch in her spot waiting for me since a few hours after I left (excepting food, litter box, and the occasional field trip to the bedroom, dining room, or computer room).

Sunday will get to be (I think) a day of little to nothing at all… perhaps with discussions about “what do we need to do to get ready for *NEXT* weekend?” But we’ll get to the outcomes of those discussions next week.

And, of course, thingy.

So… what’s on your docket?

32 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. For those in and around NYC, Cabaret is back on Broadway in a limited engagement.

Tony Award winner Alan* Cumming returns as the MC. Cumming is probably best known for his role as Eli Gold on The Good Wife.

*As I was originally typing this, I accidentally misspelled Alan’s first name with an anagram that refers to a type of sex that Cumming presumably enjoys. I’m glad I found the typo in time.

2. I think Hair is a very dark musical. So much naivety, so little time.
    I am starting to get well from some bug that hit me so hard that I have been sleeping on the couch so I wouldn’t the wife up with my coughing and groaning. I am not well but am so much better than I can go ten or fifteen minutes without coughing and when I do I don’t worry about my lungs leaping out.
    My hope is that by Saturday I am well enough to go to the garden and be a hoer.

3. Last night I stayed out too late, drank too much, and listened to music that was too loud*. So I am staying in, and doing house stuff.

*just kidding. It was just the right amount of loud. Though my ears have been intermittently ringing today.

4. Well, we sort of have this horse race going on in town this weekend, and it’s kind of a big deal, so I will try to stay away from the city as much as possible to avoid traffic and Nick Lachey sightings. Safe in the suburbs I will do battle with turkeys one last time on Saturday morning. It has been an extremely frustrating season but there is still hope.

On Sunday I am hosting my own birthday party. It’s just an excuse to cook for the whole family though I never mind the presents. We’re thinking pulled pork, potato salad and cole slaw this year but the menu is TBD.

5. tomorrow I think we’re going to my wife’s boyfriend’s for a fire in the yard and beers and music.

Saturday evening to some friends we haven’t seen much in a long while, so it will be very nice to catch up. Our kid and their two used to be very good friends, so they should enjoy that too. Possibly potluck – I’d have to ask my wife. Saturday night, I might go dance to big cheesy psy trance. Most of my friends of the going out dancing set will be going to a different event at a much more expensive club that I kind of find annoying, is more out of my way, and anyway won’t have psytrance.

Sunday is my usual shift at the bike shop – it’s getting really busy there now, basically all the stands have been busy the whole time on my last four shifts.

Monday isn’t really weekend, but it’s got the ecstatic dance thing I’ve started, which feels very weekendish – it’s been really nice actually looking forward to Mondays lately.

6. Tonight I celebrate a minor achievement of a lady friend with a nice dinner out and such. I anticipate little sleep. Don’t know why, but it seems that females of any species must hog the bed. I expect to be wedged between my lady friend and the cat. One may have to be bannished to the spare bedroom so i can sleep in peace-the cat takes up less space :)

Sat I’m heading to see a play with my “theatre chick” friend where I will attempt to schmooze her into helping me sell my car…..

7. Caging 5 tomato plants. Do the nightly hunter killer missions on the harlequin beetles in the mustard greens and kohlrabi. So far they have not migrated into the Hopi corn or Anasazi beans.
    I am finding the Anasazi beans grow crazy fast. They put on blooms within a couple weeks of clearing the ground. Rosella Hibiscus are doing well, have one more to transplant to bring this springs total up to 6 or so. Should be a couple dozen ground cherries ripe enough to be plucked. Native sunflowers will be showing their color this weekend, some near 40″ tall already.
    Of the squash, the Tatume is doing better than the others.

• Sorry for the late reply.
        I live appox. 40 miles inland from Corpus Christi, Texas. The tilled gardens if I added all of them together would be in the 550 to 600 sq.ft. range. The heat requires I work mostly under trees. we have already seen a 108F in late April. This week will be in the 90s.

I do small tweaks in the surrounding bush that probably amounts to 3-5 acres. This years sow thistle crop was incredible. I cant be certain but it appears the sow thistle has increased the number of lady bugs. They have migrated to the sunflowers and have seen no aphids so far. Soldier beetles are prolific and on the watch as well.