Weekend!

It’s a funny thing, but it took retirement to make me fully appreciate — and celebrate — weekends as an adult.

It feels like this should be the other way around. That I should have looked forward to weekends all those years of being a working stiff, and then lost track of when a weekend even was once I had no Mon-Fri, 9-5 ball and chain weighing me down. But during all my “earning” years, I almost always worked over the weekend. Sometimes I would bring the work home with me, but more often than not I would just go into the office.

And on those occasions when I really was keenly aware of the approaching weekend, it could even be a source of stress. In addition to everything I thought I needed to get done at the office, there were additional parenting commitments, as well as the occasion dinner party to cook for, or date with knittingniki. Those were all wonderful things, of course, but the stress of having to do them all and get through a pile of office work made me often dread Saturdays and Sundays,

Now that I am retired, weekends are actually… well, weekends.  For the first time in my life since school, weekends are things I use to break up and track time. And now that I technically don’t even have weekend, they’re also something I look forward to. A lot.

Go figure.

This weekend, the hope is to get in some rest and relaxation. I have a trip to Powell’s Books planned for either today of first thing in the morning, and Agnostic God willing I’ll find at least a couple of books to disappear into before Monday. There will be a wee bit of work as well, of a house husband sort: Monday night we are having one of those corporate schmooze-fest dinner parties for twelve of fifteen of knittingniki’s colleagues, and so I will probably want to use part of Sunday to shop and do some prep cooking. That way, hopefully, Monday will not be such a stressed affair that I eventually want to punch every guest in the face just for ringing our doorbell that evening.

I may also watch the Seahawks and the Oregon games. (Oh, how the mighty have fallen.) And there will definitely be some hardcore Dodger rooting, and at no time now or later will I point out to Schilling that the Dodgers are in the post season and the Giants aren’t. Because that would be small and petty. And childish. So I will refrain.

I am very mature that way.

So what’s on your docket?

Editor Emeritus
Home Page Twitter

Tod is a writer from the Pacific Northwest. He is also serves as Executive Producer and host of both the 7 Deadly Sins Show at Portland's historic Mission Theatre and 7DS: Pants On Fire! at the White Eagle Hotel & Saloon. He is  a regular contributor for Marie Claire International and the Daily Beast, and is currently writing a book on the sudden rise of exorcisms in the United States. Follow him on Twitter. ...more →

31 thoughts on “Weekend!

1. My weekend is full! There’s a post I want to write, at least a week overdue. Natasha and I are going to the Giant Robot Japanese pop culture festival downtown. It’s time to rack my Bloodmoon Eclipse Smoked Pumpkin Ale, and the Packers host the Lambs. And, like you, I intend to not gloat to Mike Schilling at all, not even once, about the NLDS lacking the presence of the soon-to-be-dethroned champs.

2. I took today off from Job #1 to work Job #2, where I have been drinking coffee, cuddling and surfing the league for the past hour. Go Job #2!

I just realized how that sounds. No, I’m not one of those professional cuddles Tod wrote about, but I bet that would pay well.

I’m making Burt’s quiche this weekend for my soon to be roommate because he let’s me experiment on him and, like Mikey, he’ll eat anything. Hopefully I’ll make some commission at Job #1 this weekend!

3. Got me a sweet, sweet trip to the Library of Congress lined up for tomorrow. Is there a better way to spend the day than scanning old newspapers? There is an odd gap in the standard microfilm of the Boston Herald for 1877 and 1878. The Herald was the de facto organ for the Boston Red Stockings, which won the pennant both those years, so this gap is vastly distressing. I believe that the Pope addressed it in his recent encyclical. But it turns out that the Library of Congress has (or claims to have) bound volumes of those years. So far as I know they have never been microfilmed. The Library has a lovely self-service scanner for just such contingencies, so I and my thumb drive will address this pressing concern.

4. Well, first of all, I really miss Jaybird. The way our schedules are aligning, we can’t even communicate synchronously this time around – we’ve just been sending a flurry of 2-3 line emails around the world at weird hours.

But I don’t find myself with much time to dwell on that, thankfully. Today I’m racing around doing last minute chores before work, because my sister and brother-in-law and niece are arriving tonight. They just experienced a major house fail, but the timing is at least good – they would much RATHER be here than home, because there’s so much clean-up for the various companies employed by the insurance folks to do. (Bro-in-law’s dad will be supervising while they are gone.)

We are probably hitting the zoo and Garden of the Gods tomorrow before a big dinner at Jaybird’s mom’s house (just the 5 of us), and then Sunday we’re thinking brunch and a movie and a great deal of just hanging out. Maybe we’ll go to a park.

Kind of anxious about allergy issues (they may or may not be able to stay here vs a hotel), very exhausted after not being able to sleep even one wink night before last, and definitely feeling that “bust your butt to get everything done at home and yet still work extra hours at work” vibe.

But I suspect by tomorrow morning all the “aaaaaaaaaa” will have gone away and there will only be fun and family contentment left over.

5. greginak:
    Be careful not to get forcibly elected Speaker of the House while you are there.

I hereby propose the James May North Pole Amendment:

No one shall be eligible for election/appointment to an office of responsibility in the United States government unless they sincerely do not want the job.

6. Concealed carry class tomorrow. The wife was going with or without me, so off I go. The instructor is a retired local history teacher (a navy guy before that). Earmuffs at the ready.

7. I didn’t dare mention it until the project was done, for fear of jinxing it, but now… replace the 15-20 year old garbage disposal in the kitchen. Getting the old one out was actually the more difficult half of the job. The new one is amazingly quiet.