Because I’m horrible and failed at last Friday’s “Movie Quotes Quiz”, I doubled down for this week.
The theme is “letters of the alphabet”.
Each movie and character begin with the same letter of the alphabet, and they’re listed in order. There’s a little bit of stretching in a couple of places (you would not believe how hard it is to find a character whose name begins with the letter “Q”, except Q, and Quantum of Solace is the only Bond movie that begins with a Q… and Q isn’t in it!) So, in a couple of places the letter refers to the first letter of the character’s first name, and in some cases it’s the first letter of their last name, and in a couple of places where I just couldn’t find something that fit either of those two cases it’s the first letter of their title -> but they have to be referred to by their title prominently in the movie.
For example, for “C”, I might have put in Claude Rains, as Captain Renault, in Casablanca. Hey, that even pulls in the actor’s name! Movies that begin with an article, such as The Year of Living Dangerously, are considered to begin with the first non-article letter of the title, so it would be Year of Living Dangerously (The). There’s a clue there. You will need a few clues, this is probably the hardest quiz so far. Good luck!
Here’s the quotes list:
- Well, it’s an interesting combination of elements, making him a… tough little son-of-a-bitch.
- Dude, you gotta have a poker face, like me.
- Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?
- If I come out alive, this guy, Lefty, ends up dead. That’s the same thing as me putting the bullet in his head myself.
- Zero Charisma!
- I was a lesbian once at school, but only for about fifteen minutes.
- No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die.
- Webster, the only thing you could build is a good case of hemorrhoids.
- Nothing shocks me. I’m a scientist.
- As far as boyfriends go, Paulie Bleeker is totally boss. He is the cheese to my macaroni.
- Fear… does not exist… in this dojo… DOES IT?!?
- Final count, forty-two!
- Good morning, Roz, my succulent little garden snail. And who will we be scaring today?
- Fred Krueger did it, Daddy. And only I can get him. It’s my nightmare he comes to.
- Why waste those cute little tricks that the Army taught us just because it’s sort of peaceful now.
- She says the jungle… it just came alive and took him.
- Their grief? If you imagine I’m going to drop everything and come down to London before I attend to my grandchildren who’ve just lost their mother… then you’re mistaken.
- How odd that it should end this way for us… after so many stimulating encounters. I almost regret it. Where shall I find a new adversary so close to my own level?
- Next time, we don’t date the girl with eleven evil ex-boyfriends.
- This is the key to a new order. This code disk means freedom.
- Oh, it’s the deed to channel 62. I won it with a pair of 7s. I was bluffing.
- The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
- You’re not the only one with special gifts.
- I know what you’ve come to do. You’ve come to lay with me and cut me into tiny pieces. You’re the bandit that eats children and old people
- I’m treating two sets of Siamese twins with split personalities. I’m getting paid by eight people.
And the ROT 13’d answers:
- Vna Ubyz, Nfu, Nyvra
- Nyrk Jvagre, Ovyy, Ovyy naq Grq’f Rkpryyrag Nqiragher
- Puril Punfr, Pynex, Puevfgznf Inpngvba
- Wbuaal Qrcc, Qbaavr Oenfpb, Qbaavr Oenfpb
- Urael Gubznf, Ryyvbgg, R.G., Gur Rkgen-Greerfgevny
- Xevfgra Fpbgg Gubznf, Svban, Sbhe Jrqqvatf naq Shareny
- Treg Seöor, Tbyqsvatre, Nhevp Tbyqsvatre
- Pyvag Rnfgjbbq, Uvtujnl, Urnegoernx Evqtr
- Uneevfba Sbeq, Vaqvnan Wbarf, Vaqvnan Wbarf naq gur Grzcyr bs Qbbz
- Ryyra Cntr, Whab, Whab
- Znegva Xbir, Xerrfr, Xnengr Xvq (Gur)
- Beynaqb Oybbz, Yrtbynf, Ybeq bs gur Evatf: Gur Gjb Gbjref (Gur)
- Ovyyl Pelfgny, Zvxr Jnmbjfxv, Zbafgref, Vap.
- Urngure Ynatraxnzc, Anapl, Avtugzner ba Ryz Fgerrg (N)
- Senax Fvangen, Qnaal Bprna, Bprna’f 11
- Evpuneq Punirf, Cbapub, Cerqngbe
- Uryra Zveera, Dhrra Ryvmnorgu VV, Dhrra (Gur)
- Cnhy Serrzna, Erar Oryybd, Envqref bs gur Ybfg Nex
- Naan Xraqevpx, Fgnpvr Cvytevz, Fpbgg Cvytevz if. gur Jbeyq
- Oehpr Obkyrvgare, Geba, Geba
- Fgnayrl Oebpx, Hapyr Uneirl, HUS
- Uhtb Jrnivat, I, I sbe Iraqrggn
- Ora Ohegg, JNYY-R, JNYY-R
- Cngevpx Fgrjneg, Knivre, K-zra
- Nyvpr Pnegre, Lra Fha, Lbhat Thaf
- Jbbql Nyyra, Mryvt, Mryvt
Did you misalign the answers and clues on purpose to throw us off?
I got 2, 3 (actor only),7, 14 (movie only), 17, 21 (movie only), 22 (movie only), 24 (movie only), 26. I do not fully understand how I didn’t get 5, 13, and 18.
Whoops, nope! Editing mistake.
Fixed. For “F”, I was originally going to use Fritz, from Frankenstein, but after mulling it over for an hour I couldn’t remember a good, memorable line from him, so I replaced him with another entry for “F”. Somehow, I left it in the answer key.
This is a placeholder for tonight. I know many of these.
I got 3, 7 and (inexplicably, given my taste in movies) 14.
Since there’s no way on God’s green earth I could ever come up with something as complicated as this, I will not quibble with your 17.
17 was, seriously, a pain in the pontookas. 26 was easier.
I’m guessing you went with something other than relying heavily on the soundtrack?
FLASH!!! AAH AAAAAAH! SAVIOR OF THE UNIVERSE!!!!
(Hey, you could have gotten “Freddy Mercury” out of that too!)
Reading the quote, I see I was close. Kinda. Not really.
I tried to avoid movies where the character and title were exactly the same.
As you can see from the solution set, I was not successful at avoiding this overmuch. The premise sounded great when I started it and when I was into the second hour of putting together the post, I decided I needed to be more lenient with myself 🙂
Being vaguely tipsy, I think I had best put off answering this until tomorrow.
Because, seriously, sitting down to really attack this has resulted in me saying “okay, I know four of them and that’s it, and one of them is only because it’s related to a Freddie Mercury joke I made.”
Jryy, N vf sebz Nyvra (lbh unir zl pbaqbyraprf), naq P vf n tvzzr sebz Puevfgznf Inpngvba, R enat yvxr n oryy va zl urnq (naq, sbe fbzr ernfba, V xrcg ehaavat qbja gur Ehaavat Zna Ebnq… ABJ WHFG CYNVA MREB!!!! naq, jura V fnj gur nafjre, V lryyrq), T vf sbe Tbyqsvatre, U *UNF* gb or Urnguref (purpxrq: abcr, abg rira pybfr). V unq zr thrffvat “Tubfgohfgref” naq jbaqrevat vs vg jnf n ersrerapr sebz Tubfgohfgref 2, znlor? Fvtu. X vf sbe Xnengr Xvq. Z vf Zbafgref, Vap, A vf sbe Avtugzner ba Ryz Fgerrg, C vf sbe Cerqngbe, D vf sbe Gur Dhrra (juvpu V unira’g frra ohg gung frrzf yvxr n yvar gung jung’f-ure-snpr jbhyq hfr juvyr lryyvat ng gung cbbe Cevzr Zvavfgre). V’z ernyyl, ernyyl veevgngrq ng zlfrys sbe abg trggvat E. F vf sbe Fpbgg Cvytevz, H vf sbe HUS. I vf sbe I sbe Iraqrggn. V jbhyq unir tbggra J vs vg jrer abg sbe zl npprag. V gubhtug jr jrer fnlvat “rire”. M zhfg or Mryvt.
Naq V qvq orggre guna V gubhtug.
Comments are closed.